Monday, April 17, 2006

Rednecks are alive and well

A little background for those unfamiliar: I live at the end of a dead-end dirt road. We have 52 very private, heavily wooded acres all behind the house, and our acres abut over 200 acres of undeveloped land. We have no trespassing/no hunting signs posted along our property lines.

Thursday night I was home alone at 8:30 (the kids went to town to get snacks). All of a sudden I hear this loud sound. I thought the kids were stupidly drag racing down the dirt road. All of a sudden the outside light comes on and Jethro starts barking. When the outside light comes on, it means someone/something is in the yard. I open the door and what do I see…a Kubota tractor and 3 people. Standing.in.my.yard. I couldn’t get my brain to realize what I was seeing. I was in shock. It seems these people decided to take a joy ride through the woods in a tractor, come up from the back and into my yard and that this would be acceptable. I had a few choice words to share with them. They were very apologetic, but I was in shock. Then the driver of the tractor says, “The bad news is, I have to come back tomorrow night and do this again because I have another tractor out there that broke down.” I said, “MY HUSBAND WILL BE HERE TO DEAL WITH YOU!” As I’m moving my car and opening the cow gate so they can leave, the kids came home. They had NO idea what was going on. They thought hubster was on his tractor to fix the driveway. Once they realized what was really going on, we were all talking a mile a minute.

Friday morning Silas and I went looking for the 2nd tractor. We followed tractor trails, found a freshly discarded beer can and cigarette butt, but NO sign of a broken tractor. When hubster got home we all went back out into the woods and went a different direction. We saw plenty of tractor trails, and they led us to a John Deere tractor, a lawn type tractor, not one that you’d go trouncing through the woods on. **insert huge rolling eyes here** It was so close to the house, that if I would have looked out my window the night before I would have seen the lights in the woods and then probably would have shat myself. But I digress…
Friday night comes, and we’re ready for the guy to show up. I thought, he’d be a man and come to my house and then start his journey to his tractor. No – he drives a four wheeler through the 200 acres to get to my 52 acres. Hubster and Silas meet him out in the woods. Hubster asks him what on earth was he ever thinking? The guy was very humble and apologized and assured Hubster that we would never see him again. He said he took a series of wrong turns and it turned out the way it did. But seriously…what WAS he thinking?? I told hubster he had to have been high at the time. No straight/sober person says “Hey, let’s take our tractors out into the woods and ride around in the rocks and trees and mud, in the dark.”

3 Comments:

Blogger Kathy - Mommy said...

OMG, I am cracking up laughing. I bet you could count the teeth of all of them together on one hand too. That took a lot of nerve. I think I would have called the cops to deal with the trespassers. You were kind.

8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know what I would have done. I know the first year we were here at this site, snow machines thought they could ride right past our bedroom window. (the trail used to go by here (right in back of our garage. I changed that!!! We have 20 acres and we thought we'd have privacy, too!!! We did, after we changed the snowmobile trail.

10:17 AM  
Blogger mojoala said...

LOL!

It was so close to the house, that if I would have looked out my window the night before I would have seen the lights in the woods and then probably would have shat myself....

Would you have thought it to be a UFO encounter?

LOL!

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


visited 5 states (2.22%)
Create your own visited map of The World or try another Douwe Osinga project
visited 24 states (48%)
Create your own visited map of The United States or try another Douwe Osinga project eXTReMe Tracker